Friday, July 29, 2011

1/72 scale A-wing modified for droid

I got this kit as a prize in the light saber contest about six months ago, and I just got around to putting it together. It is a mind blowing kit for the scale, it's less than 10cm long but super detailed. The kit is by rb26 and I can't say enough good things about it. That being said, I don't think I've ever put a kit together without mutilating it in some way.
I always really liked the A-wing, but thought it was weak that there was no pit for an astro-mech droid. Who are you going to talk to? I thought about trying to shoehorn in an X-wing style droid plate, but there was no way, so I kit-bashed it from parts out of an M4 callipoe kit.

I also wanted to give it some hot rod blowers on the hood, no idea why. More parts from the M4 and some careful carving out of the targeting sensor hatches (I think that's what goes there anyway) The droid was mostly parts form a pen I stole from a hotel room in Iceland.

A shot before I glued the canopy down. These pictures do not do justice to the cockpit detail. I liked how he had the pilot looking to the left while flying, super safe. Not that you would be able to see whatever was directly in front of you with that canopy design anyway.

I went a little nuts on the base, I think it is kind of overwhelming for the size of the kit, but it was super fun to build.

Some glamour shots. This thing ended looking filthy like a little pig. Couldn't stop weathering it. That's why I can't have nice things.

I thought about lighting it, I even hollowed out the engines before I realized it would all end in tragedy if I persisted.

No comments:

Post a Comment