Friday, February 5, 2010

Taronga Leela's Wristlojackimator

My sister was Leela from Futurama for Halloween this year, and I promised that if she made the trip up to Seattle this year I would make her wrist kerjigger. I had been wanting to retool my vacu-forming machine for awhile, so it was a good opportunity to test it on something easy. I made a loaf shape by wrapping clay around my forearm. I have dainty forearms for a dude, so I knew it wouldn't be too big for my sister. Next I did a plaster negative, then positive. I wish I had photos of this part, but plaster stresses me out so I forgot. I vacuformed over the plaster and got two halves. I cut out the shape for the screen and used that bit to cut out the buttons, as they share the same curve.
Prime, sand, repeat.
Here it is painted, modeled by my wife, not my sister. I had the perfect seafoam green laying around. Ihave kind of way to much spraypaint laying around. I collect spraypaint like grandmas collect used tissues. I glued fabric inside for the hinge, then lined it with foam and velcro along the edge to clasp it shut. Here is my sister on Halloween thinking about science or something. She made the eye out of fabric that she sprayed with matte clearcoat.

1 comment:

  1. I really wish this were something I could wear on a regular basis without being a big weirdo.

    ReplyDelete